Saturday, April 25, 2009

Country Road, take me home...

Josh was playing tennis in Murray on Friday afternoon and wanted me to come there. He wanted a ride home so he could get to a Multimedia class gathering that night. He grudgingly said "Since you are driving all that way, you can watch me play". He generally does not like Donna and I to watch him play. Naturally I jumped at the chance.

We go to Mayfield a decent amount. It's been years since I've been to Murray. I got to Mayfield and the "Dick Castleman Bypass". Mayfield has maybe 10,000 people in it but somehow they were able to get a bypass built around their city. It's nice I admit (it used to be a quite weavy trip through downtown Mayfield) but I am not sure how it was justified. Obviously somebody (quite possible their local representative it's named for) had a good bit of influence in the Kentucky state legislature.

After rounding the bypass (about 3 or 4 miles), I turned left to pick up the main part of 121. I was surprised to find that it was now integrated with hiway 80. It was also now four lane. Turns out hiway 80 is going to be fourlaned all the way to Murray. Right now it's done all the way to Coldwater. They've had to put in a traffic light in Coldwater now to get the four-lane traffic back onto 121 from the four-laned 80. It's bizarre seeing a traffic light in Coldwater. I don't even think its as big as Wickliffe or LaCenter. It might be comparable to Kevil.

After a bit of online research, the plan is to four-lane 80 all the way from Mayfield to Cadiz. Again, some representatives in this part of the state must have some influence in the state legislature. It may divert traffic from Stella depriving me the right to always yell "Stell-aaa" in my poor Marlon Brando impersonation whenever we see the green sign when we drive through (and earning incredulous looks from my sons each time).

I've lost a bit more sympathy for our Governor when he complains about a lack of money. I may incur the ire of some, but I cannot understand the need to four-lane that corridor. I've gotta believe there are hiways that need it worse than that in the state...

2 comments:

Wayne said...

Stuart, the highway between Mayfield and Murray actually gets a lot of traffic and there are a lot of accidents on that road. Kentucky's plan is to 4-lane Highway 80 all across Kentucky from Pikeville to Mayfield bringing overpasses and bridges up to interstate standards so can attract Interstate 66 (if and when it is authorized by Congress).

Hope your team won!
Wayne Youngblood, Mayfield

Stuart Yancy said...

Wayne, wow I didn't think I'd get a comment so fast :-)

I can understand what you are saying. I can think of at least two projects I feel are equally important (one I'll admit I'm probably biased on).

1) Four laning US 60 from the USEC plant to Wickliffe. That road gets a lot of traffic as well and has had quite a few accidents. This is a federal road though so I am not sure how funding works for it.

2) Western Ky Parkway. I used to travel that road a lot between Paducah and UK. The last few times I've traveled it, its in horrible shape. I almost would consider paying tolls on it again if that is what it takes.

I honestly have doubts I-66 will ever get built...

Thanks for your comments.

Stuart