Monday, January 19, 2009

Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl.....

Kurt Warner stood up and said multiple times "Arizona Cardinals in the Super Bowl". He remarked on how good it sounds. It sounds absolutely great to me.

You've seen my previous posts on the Cardinals. Never in my wildest dreams when I posted about them being in first place one week into the season did I see this coming. I honestly thought the New York Giants would take it. I think they would have if Plaxico Burress would have had a good firearms training class.

They have not won a championship since 1947. There was actually footage I saw yesterday of them winning that game over the Eagles. I had heard of Charley Trippi who played for them them and helped lead them to victory.

Now to yesterday's game. I had to be in Nashville on Monday so I had to drive up yesterday. I listened to the first half in the car and couldn't believe how great they were playing. Donna kept calling me all excited about how well they were doing. It is one of her many amazing qualities that she now embraces sports so much and is happy for me when my teams do well. I got to my hotel just in time to see Neal Rackers boot a field goal at the end of the half to give them a 24-6 lead. However, the Eagles came roaring back in the 2nd half. Their defense completely shut the Cardinals down and with two long TD passes, the Eagles took a 25-24 lead in the 4th quarter. I called Donna convinced they had choked. However, Kurt Warner led the Cardinals back down the field to take a 31-24 lead. The Cardinals held them off and were NFC Champions.

I proudly wore my Cardinals jacket. I got congratulations from fellow hotel guests, Adam Faughn and members of Lebanon Road church of Christ (where I went to worship services that night), via Facebook and text from friends and family, and from people at the training center today.

I still have a hard time believing it. And of course, they are underdogs to the Steelers now. I found this comment from Mike Cezilic of NBC sports after the Cardinals victory quite appropriate though.

There aren’t enough crows in the world for all the humble pies that all of us in the expert analysis business are going to have to eat.

2 comments:

10 Minute Book Reviews said...

I was wondering how long it would be before this post was written!

Here's hoping Warner wins one more!!!

Adam

melly said...

i want you to know that i will be pulling for the cards in the super bowl.