Saturday, March 7, 2009

Flatcats...

I told myself I wasn't going to watch the game. But, I kept going to check in. Of course, Kentucky just managed to tease me enough to keep me watching, but never really be in any position to win.

Billy Gillespie reminds me of the coach at Ballard Memorial when Jonathan and Josh played. He is going to run his particular offense no matter what the other team does on defense. He'll play the defense he wants to play no matter what the other team does. He'll use the most bizarre substitution patterns as if to say "I'm the coach and I'll do what I want, so there".

Random Points

  • Coach, did you notice that defense Florida was playing? It's called a ZONE. Kentucky has been known to play that pretty successfully in the past to shut down penetration (which is the big problem Kentucky has this year on defense).
  • I am really starting to think that 54 point game was a bad thing for Jodie Meeks. He's reached the point now where he will not pass the ball even when he has three guys on him.
  • What happened to DeAndre Liggins? Think he'll be back next year?
  • What about Darius Miller? He played a lot in the first half and we never saw him again.
  • Looking over and seeing the UK coach laughing during a game is not encouraging.

My guess is UK will get put out in the first or second round of the SEC tournament. They'll get a home game in the NIT quite possibly against Tennessee Martin, Middle Tennessee or Murray State and lose. Perfect capper to the season.

I'll never forget my junior year at UK in 1982. They started out ranked second in the nation to North Carolina (who had some freshman named Jordan on the team along with James Worthy and Sam Perkins). By the end of the year, they were a six seed in the NCAA tournament. They had what was then a play-in game to meet Louisville for the first time in 25 years. Kentucky messed up those plans by losing to Middle Tennessee who had only got in by winning the OVC tournament (they weren't even the best team in the OVC that year). I heard from every Murray State person I knew when they said "We even beat those guys and you couldn't?". North Carolina went on to beat Patrick Ewing's Georgetown team to win the National Championship.

No comments: