Monday, September 29, 2008

5K - Part Two

I got up Saturday morning and we got ready to head to my second 5k. This one is for the Paducah BBQ on the River and it put on by United Way. The three of us headed down there, got registered and loosened up to run.

My goal was to get under 27:00. I made sure I didn't hang at the back like at my first run. I got closer to the front. The gun sounded and we were off. I managed to keep a good pace and hit the first mile at 7:45. I grabbed a cup of water and again managed to get it in my nose. I didn't try again.

I actually tried listening to music this time and I think it helped. The fact that the course was flat and the temperature was in the low 60's helped too.

As I got to the last 400m, I see Josh on the sidewalk (already done of course). He yells to me to let me know I am almost done and can get under 26:00!. I rounded the block and could see the clock still showing in the 25's so I tried to turn it on. I saw my lovely wife standing there as well so I was able to finish it out. I made it in 25:42! I was thrilled.

Josh finished at 19:46 (his best time ever) and Jonathan 21:05. Josh got a plaque for finishing first in his age group (15-19 males) and Jonathan got one for second. Josh finished 15th overall (out of 375) and Jonathan 34th. I even made it in 126th.

Josh was so happy it made Donna and I feel great. With me running a PR as well, it was a wonderful race and morning.

2 comments:

IRgEEK said...

I can't tell from the pic. R u about 2 punch Josh in the face because he flashed the '#1' sign or could u just not figure out the '#1' thingy?

hehe

Stuart Yancy said...

Donna caught me mid fist pump...