Saturday, June 5, 2021

The Paducah Chiefs


Now that I am fully vaccinated, I really have looked forward to being able to get out a bit more.  Last week, we finally ate in a restaurant (Culvers) for the first time in over a year.   I saw an advertisement about the season for the local baseball team starting on Friday, so I decided I wanted to go to that.  We’d gone with Jonathan and Lucy a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

The Paducah Chiefs have a long history in the area.  The original team formed in 1903 and played in various iterations until 1955.  The team was reformed in 2017 as part of the Ohio Valley Collegiate League.  You can read more about them here.  One thing I do like is unlike most collegiate type teams, they use wooden bats.  They play in Brooks Stadium which is the home of Paducah Tilghman.  It’s a really nice small stadium very close to where we go to church.  They have really good concessions as well (always a plus for me).

 The game Friday was at 6:30.  I left about 5:45 and got there about 6:10.  The parking lots were much fuller than I remembered last time.  I got in with no problems.  General Admission tickets are 5.00.  You can sit in a chairback seat for 10.00.  There really isn’t a bad seat in the place.  I stopped at the concession stand on the way in and grabbed some food.  I was able to get a good seat in the shade.  I would say the stadium ended up being almost 2/3 full.  I sat close to some fans of the visiting team (the Fulton Railroaders).  They enthusiastically cheered on their own team but were not obnoxious or overbearing in any way.  The game went back and forth.  The only thing that I must have forgotten was these games took longer to play than I remembered.  I held out as long as I could but in the bottom of the 7th, I finally left (it was after nine). 

 If you’d like some inexpensive entertainment (and especially if you like baseball), I’d recommend you check it out.  I’ll give you one tip and it’s about parking.  Be cautious about parking too close.  If you do, a foul ball can easily hit your car.  From where I was sitting, I saw several fouls bounce off of cars.  Fortunately, mine never got hit.

No comments: