Friday, June 10, 2016

New York, New York - Part 2


After Josh got in from work, we headed on to New York City. I had already bought tickets for us to go to the observation deck on the 86th floor. We walked to the Greystone train station and caught a train into the city. The trains on the line we were on all terminate at Grand Central Terminal (formerly known as Grand Central Station). The place is huge and busy with all sorts of train lines and subway lines terminating there. There are also multiple places to eat there. I had already scouted out a place to eat and found Shake Shack. I’d heard from numerable sources how great it was, so we tried it out. The burger was really good. Honestly though, I didn’t feel it was any better than a burger I get at Five Guys or Culvers.

After we ate, we headed out of the station onto the streets of New York. My first impression was how the city is intense on your senses. From the large buildings, to the number of people, to the traffic - it feels really intense. We walked to the Empire State Building. When we got inside, there was a huge line. I’d been to the Sears Tower (now Willis Tower) years before. There was little or no wait there. We waited well over an hour in line to finally get on an elevator to go up. There was a big crowd at the indoor observation deck. We were able to see out and see to whole area of New York including many of the iconic buildings of the city.

We took an elevator up a few floors to the outside observation deck. The view was amazing. I had Josh film a video of me there so Donna could see how high up we were. We took an elevator back down to the ground. Even though it was late at night, there were still a lot of people on the streets. We got back to Grand Central and took a train back. We had a mile walk back. It almost all uphill and we were already tired but we got back to the hotel and went to sleep.

In my next post, I’ll relate how our Saturday went when we visited several iconic locations in New York City.

No comments: