Friday, June 19, 2015

Part 4 - The Land Down Under


The next morning Josh and I slept in since he didn’t have to go to work. We breakfasted on leftover Krispy Kreme plus leftover desserts he’d gotten from working at the hospital. We checked out of our hotel and walked down the street to the hotel we’d be staying at. Amazingly enough, we could check in even though it was in the morning. We had a one room suite that had a kitchenette and even a washer that doubled as dryer. Once we got settled, Josh and walked down to the Victorian Market. Josh was impressed especially with all the butchers. I got him a sausage roll which he agreed was excellent. We planned to meet his co-workers for lunch so we rested for a bit and then headed out.

We met them at a place called Grill’d that had very good grilled hamburgers. After that, we headed south across the Yarre River and went to the National Gallery of Victoria. We’d seen it the night before and it was free to enter, so we decided to see it. I’ll be the first to admit I’m not an art person. They had a huge amount of art from various countries (Asia and Europe). The bizarre thing was they had no art at all from Australian which we would have been interested to see. My favorite painting was one of St George and the Dragon. The top floor had a “modern” art display about television. I walked around one corner and saw such a shocking display that I immediately exited. I then saw a sign saying “Some of the exhibits may contain offensive material”. They certainly did. There was an exhibit of TV remotes from around the world. It led me to my familiar recourse of “This is art?”. When we left, Josh and I agreed that we were really playing a game of chicken. Had one of us just admitted we didn’t really like what we were doing, we would have just left. I think I would have been upset if I actually had to pay to get in.

When we got back to our hotel, I watched several game shows I’d started watching while there. There was an Australian version of “Deal or No Deal”. My favorite was a show called “Eggheads”. Each day a team would try to take on a team of “Eggheads” and try to win a cash prize. There would be multiple one on one battles with questions from a topic. The loser would be stricken from their team for the final round where there was one more round of questions to determine the winner. The Eggheads won every time. The show succeeded in putting Josh to sleep. He didn’t want to get up so I struck out to find some dinner. I ended up at a place called Mad Mex that appeared to be something like a Qdoba or Chipolte. It was OK but not nearly as good as those. Right down the walkway was a place called Max Brenner’s Chocolate Bar. They had all sort of chocolate drinks and desserts. I ended up getting what was called a 80s milkshake. This was a chocolate milkshake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream crowned with hardened chocolate coating. It was fabulous. I got back to the hotel and found Josh had foraged out for a pizza. He couldn’t find me when we went out so he was slightly miffed that I had gotten the chocolate milkshake without him.

We talked about our upcoming day. I had signed us up for an all day tour of various attractions that we hoped would be very entertaining. I’ll give you the details in my next post including the part Josh said “was the best part of the trip”

No comments: