Saturday, June 15, 2013

Fit for a King



One of the things I've wanted for years and years is a king size bed.  I am a big guy and I flop a lot.  Whenever we go on a trip, we always get a king.  I even get a king sized bed when I am travelling on my own.  We've had our queen size mattress for so long I cannot remember when we got it.  The capper was one day when Donna went to lay down and jumped up like something bit her.  We searched around and finally found one of the springs had poked itself through.  That let us know it was time to go mattress shopping.

I started reading online and it was much more complex than I ever would have dreams.  You have pillow-top, plush, and regular.  You have spring, gel and foam.  There are all sorts of different brands and it's almost impossible to compare mattresses (even across the same brand).  After a lot of reading, I went to a few stores and started trying to compare.  I finally gave up in frustration (this was last year).  We put a piece of electrical tape over the hole where the spring poked through.

We decided to revisit buying a king sized bed this year.  Mattresses generally go on sale around Memorial Day.  Donna got involved in the research this time as well.  She felt like she wanted a firm mattress (given her back issues).  I thought a firm would do for me as well.  We didn't want any of the gel or foam type mattresses since Donna gets hot in her sleep.  So, with that in mind, we began again.  Armed with a newspaper ad, Donna headed for a large local mattress shop.  The sales lady immediately steered away from trying to look at any of the sale mattresses she was interested in.   She kept pushing her toward more expensive models.  Donna finally just left in frustration.

We finally steeled ourselves to spend the Friday before Memorial Day going mattress shopping. I expected a long tiring day of that.  My only solace was were going to eat lunch out.  We started with Sleep Outfitters by the IHOP.  They had a big ad in the paper and looked somewhat promising.  When we got there, we went towards the back.  What I'd found out in my research was mattress stores were like a lot of shops, they put the more expensive showy stuff in the front.  As we headed toward the back and began checking things out, the salesman (Matt) came up.  We told him exactly what we wanted.  He asked us what our budget was and we told him.  We also told him we were interested in a firm mattress with a plush top (which almost seems like an oxymoron).  He took us to a mattress to try out.  It felt great.  Donna said she knew I liked it because she could tell from my posture that I was about to go to sleep.

The mattress was a model that was being discontinued.  Turns out that mattresses change models almost like cars.  We had to purchase a new frame plus box springs.  I found out there is no such thing as a king box spring. You get two extra long twins instead.  I really liked the pillow as well.  I am really picky about my pillow.  When I find one I like, I even bring it on trips.   Even with the delivery charge, we met our budget.  The set wouldn't be delivered til next Friday.  That was fine since we were going to have to shuffle our current beds around first.  Jonathan and I spent Saturday morning moving Josh's old twin bed to Jonathan's room and our old queen bed to Josh's room.

On Friday, the delivery guys arrived.  They hauled everything in and set everything up in less than 10 minutes. It was absolutely amazing.  It would have taken me hours to do that.  Then, Donna reminded me that she had a quilt put away that her and her great-grandmother had quilted together when she a teenager.   I'd never seen it spread out and it looked absolutely perfect (as you can see above). 

The bed feels absolutely wonderful to sleep on.  I honestly feel I am sleeping better (and so is Donna) on it.  If you are looking for a new mattress, I would strongly recommend you check out what they have at the Sleep Outfitter store.


No comments: