Saturday, April 30, 2011

Decision Points

I normally don't buy a lot of books new. Books are one of those things you can pick up at an incredible discount if you are just a bit patient. However, I really wanted to read George W Bush's book Decision Points. I respected him as President. I didn't agree with everything he did or said. I know quite a few people didn't like him. Several called him "that Cowboy President" as if that were an insult. Personally, I think a cowboy is as American as you can get, so I didn't have a problem with a Cowboy as President.

Anyway, Amazon had the book for half price when it came out, so I gave in and bought it. I read a lot of it on my ill fated flight to DC that I've already blogged about. I finally finished it last week. It's not written like your normal autobiography. Instead of being a chronological writing of his life, he breaks the books into chapters about big "Decision Points" in his life (hence the book's title). It's quite interesting. He lays out why he made the decisions he did and how hard some of them were. Like I said, I didn't always agree with what he did, but this book helps me understand why he decided what he did. He even admits mistakes he made and regrets he has.

I really liked the chapter called "Stem Cells". I remember this being a big controversy. If you read the chapter and especially the part about "Snowflakes", you can understand why he made the decision against allowing using human embryos for stem cells (which was correct in my mind). Two other things permeate the book which I think are great. One is his love for his family especially his wife Laura. Second, he started every day of his presidency with reading the Bible. If this man with all his responsibilities could make sure he did that every day, none of us have any excuse (especially me) for not spending time with God's Word every day.

It's certainly a book I'd highly recommend.

1 comment:

corky said...

Hi Stuart: In the interest of understanding, I have this particular thing about Bush that I respected. After 9-11, when a lot of Americans were looking at that terrible day as an attack by Islam against us, President Bush was very careful to point out that we were attacked by an extremist evil fringe who didn't represent the vast majority of Muslims who just want to live their lives in peace, who want to serve God as they understand him. He met with Muslim leaders and asked for their advice about how to make sure we didn't hurt innocent Muslims out of a desire for vengeance. I was not at all a fan of President Bush or his policies, but the way he handled that particular thing was a credit to him and to our nation.

your friend
Corky