Thursday, February 4, 2010

Why They Gotta Mess with Stuff???

I was doing my morning perusal of MSN.com and came upon this a few days ago. Monopoly is releasing its 75th edition. It uses credit cards and it replaces the game pieces with colored tabs. And the board is going to be round??? I've played Monopoly for close to forty years. I cannot imagine anyone changing one of the all time classics. I've played Monopoly for close to 40 years. Josh, my nephew Adam, and I have a family tradition of playing a game every time we get together for a holiday. Other players drift in and out, but we three always have a game.

Credit cards instead of money? What does that teach? That borrowing money instead of paying cash is better? Especially in buying real estate? Obviously, these guys don't listen to Dave Ramsey. How do you handle having the fines pile up in the center of the board til someone hits Free Parking? What about the satisfaction of having a pile of 500 dollar bills? I'm always the banker when I play, what happens to that? I even stay the banker if I get bankrupted.

Colored tabs for the game pieces? One of the cool things about the game is the varied game pieces. I was the dog for years until Josh started playing and wanted it. I gave it up and have been the top hat ever since. My nephew Adam is always the race car. Whenever the game is brought out, those three pieces are always brought out immediately. Nobody ever tries to usurp those.

And a round board? What's up with that? Next thing you know, they'll try to change the shape of the Pentagon.

I've got a battered Monopoly game that actually has the wooden houses and hotels that Donna got me years ago. I guess I'll be hanging on to that one now til it rots away.

By the way, the post title comes from this (One of the few Hardee's commercials that I don't automatically turn off). Jonathan says the I'm the old guy of course.

2 comments:

Corky Johnson said...

Hey Stu: I couldn't agree with you more. I don't know if the credit card complaints are valid since I don't know the details but the fact is those changes destroy the asthetics of the game.

Adam said...

Dumb, dumb, dumb change!

There has been a credit card version for some time, but now they are making that the ONLY version? I hate what that's teaching, too.

By the way, they COULD change the credit version's board shape to a pentagon. That would be somewhat fitting.